Friday, June 6, 2008

Design 1 oh boi!

Bruce Claypool is such a way cool guy. But he is such a bitch when it comes to grading and precision. We had our first real assignment turned in yesterday and the grading curve was quite high. My twelve compositions of "problem solving" got a 10 out of 10 for their effective solutions to the concepts, but I got a 7 out of 10 for craftsmanship. Why? Well, he really didn't like the small portfolio I put them in. That's it. They were fairly perfect for being hand cut (except I used a hole puncher for the circles), but the first few slip pages of my portfolio got wrinkled mysteriously, and Bruce just generally didn't like the unoriginal idea of a portfolio as a presentation device. Whatev.

Here were my solutions for the following concepts

Figure Ground Ambiguity, Figure on Ground, Random, Order, Asymmetrical Balance, Symmetrical Balance, Diagonal, Horizontal, Vertical, Emphasis, Kinetic Energy/Movement, Black Eye Freud.

They're not in order so try and figure out which piece represents which concept.

We now have to find some uniting theme for photographs we'll take to represent these eleven compositional concepts. Uh....sounds fun, right. I thought of setting up all the fast food I eat into weird settings to do it. I do eat a lot of fast food.

Oh then the grayscale. Five hours of painting swatches to get just the right shades of gray for a perfect transition. And when I say perfect, I mean it. Nothing less will suffice. After cutting out 60 shades of gray, I picked out the 11 to make a good gradation. Bruce said it was good enough to leave alone till next week. I spent 2 hours picking them. This is what I left it at:


Le Fin

No comments: